Sad Day

Monday, August 18, 2008 ·


Today is indeed a sad day. My oldest and dearest friend, Aris' mom Pat passed away earlier today. She was taken way too early. There aren't enough words to express what I am feeling right now. I know what my dear friend must be feeling and I wish I was there to comfort him.

Even though I hadn't seen Pat for a number of years she was never far from my heart. Growing up with Aris, she was my second mom.

Some of my most cherished memories of her are from 1984.

Pat's love affair with Bruce Springsteen. I remember she never stopped listening to "Born in the USA" that summer. She had pictures of Bruce all over the house. I don't know how many times she saw Bruce in concert that summer.

I remember Pat driving us out to Greenport one summer night to our friend Nicky's summer house. I remember sitting in the back of the car driving down a country road looking up at the moon listening to Judas Priest's "Victim of Changes" thinking it doesn't get much better than this.

I remember Pat and my mom throwing Aris and me a joint birthday costume party at our school later that year. Two mothers' love for their only sons on full display.

You see at that time we didn't have a care in the world, our whole life was ahead of us. Still, Aris and I would sit and talk seriously about the mysteries of life, love, adventure and what IT was all about. Not realizing we didn't have a clue about life.

I now look back at that time of innocence and smile. We were dreamers that were encouraged to dream by our parents. If it wasn't for them we wouldn't be the men or fathers we are today.

One thing I do know Pat, is that your son is a good man. You taught him well. You taught him how to be a good father. You taught him how to be a good friend. But most of all you taught him how to love.

Pat, I know you're at peace. When you see Igor send him my love.

With much love, your other son.

2 comments:

aris said...
August 19, 2008 at 4:03 PM  

thanks Vlad. I love you.

she was so happy about our friendship. i have been very fotunate to have you as a brother.

Anonymous said...
September 18, 2008 at 8:19 PM  

This is truly sad
While I did know her very well, the few times i did meet her, she was always very friendly and warm.
One time does stick out in my mind.
Vlad & I had graduated that summer, and now we were freshmen. We went to a party with some of old HS classmates
we got a little drunk (all we had i THINK was some cookies ) anyway after a few adventures, calling a few peoples parents (that is the subject of another blog) we went back to Aris's mother house. I do not recall all the details i i know is we got fed, got some water and we looked over to make sure we weren't to fraked up. no lectures just enough to make sure we were ok (did i say that already)
i'm not sure where i'm going with this, other then my memories were of a kind women who know when to be stern and knew when to help silly boys