John Hughes (1950 - 2009) R.I.P

Friday, August 7, 2009 ·


On August 6, 2009, the world lost John Hughes, the director of "Sixteen Candles", "The Breakfast Club", "Weird Science", "Ferris Beuller's Day Off" and "Planes, Trains & Automobiles".

John's movies were the road map of my adolescence. They were entertaining lessons for my young impressionable mind. I dare you to tell me, you didn't instantly try to classify yourself as a brain, an athlete, a basket case, a princess and a criminal after seeing "The Breakfast Club" for the first time. BTW, I saw it 3 times that faithful opening weekend back in February 1985. I remember being haunted by the fact that I would never know what happened to the BC come Monday morning. I have John to thank for that.

So long John, thanks for making my turbulent teenage years bearable and fun. Thanks for introducing me to Samantha, Farmer Ted, Jake, Long Duck Dong, John, Claire, Andrew, Allison, Brian, Gary, Wyatt, Lisa, Chet, Ferris, Sloane, Cameron and Ed Rooney . You will be missed.

P.S. Thanks for even writing "Career Opportunities". The image of a young Jennifer Connelly in a tank top riding an electrical horsey has forever been burned into my retina. Bless you John. You will be missed.

0 comments: