Random Thoughts 07-10-08

Wednesday, July 9, 2008 ·

New show obsession alert!



I maybe a year late, but the way I see it, I am just in time. My wife and I have gotten hooked on MAD MEN. My friend Paul's been talking to us about this show since it first started airing last summer on AMC. We are halfway through Season 1 and lucky for us Season 2 starts on July 27th.

For those who don't know, MAD MEN is a drama that takes place in the 1960's at the fictional New York advertising agency Sterling Cooper. It centers on Don Draper, a high-level advertising executive, and the people in his life in and out of the office.

This show is freaking amazing, from the acting, writing, costumes, set designs. The attention to detail in capturing the era is amazing. The writer's strike took away my favorites for this summer namely RESCUE ME and ENTOURAGE, but MAD MEN is definitely a worthy fill in. In all fairness, the current RESCUE ME minisodes are some of the funniest sh*t on TV right now and ENTOURAGE is only delayed until September.

In short, MAD MEN is riveting and required television.

New Blu-Ray Purchase














I just picked up the
BATMAN BEGINS Blu-Ray disc. If you haven't already figured it out, I am convinced that THE DARK KNIGHT will be the second coming. It will be the Empire to BB's New Hope. Yes, yes. I believe it will be that good.

Now let's lay all the cards on the table, I already own BATMAN BEGINS on DVD and HD-DVD (OCD anyone?). The primary reason to pick this release up is because it contains the 6 minute IMAX prologue for THE DARK KNIGHT in HD.

If the remaining 146 minutes of THE DARK KNIGHT are a great as the prologue then we are in for on hell of a film. July 18th can't get here soon enough.



3 comments:

aris said...
July 10, 2008 at 8:01 AM  

I kinda stayed away from Madmen dispite the good things I heard about it...too many TV shows not enough time sort of thing. But I may have to pick up the dvd...I hear good things about the Tudors too which I haven't gotten around to yet either.

Vlad, you still have to own EVERTHING. Stop rationalizing your rabid completist obsession. ;)

Anonymous said...
July 11, 2008 at 10:02 AM  

re: Madmen

now yoou see why i want to get back into the ad world

Paul said...
July 23, 2008 at 2:22 AM  

Wow. It only took a year of me telling you how awsome Mad Men was for you to watch it.... Can Friday Night Lights be far behind? (You will drink the koolaid!)